Hajj and Umrah are two types of expeditions that Muslims undertake as a token of their faith.
The 5 frequently practiced Pillars of Islam (Tauheed, Namaz, Roza, Zakat, and Hajj) seldom get any confusion and therefore our spiritual scholars repetitively address the misunderstandings faced.
Hajj being one of the pillars of Islam is associate degree irremissible act to be performed once in an exceedingly time period by any sane adult Muslim who has the means to bear a journey.
Hajj is performed during the specific months. The Quranic verse “For Hajj are the months well known” (al-Baqrah, 2:197).
Umrah is the adoration that is performed by doing Tawaf round the Ka’aba after entering the state of Ihram in accordance with its rules and by accomplishing some other religious duties, independent of time.
Hajj and Umrah are amongst the most significant means for the expiation of sins. The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is reported to have said, “Alternate between Hajj and Umrah because both rid one of poverty and sins just as the blacksmith’s bellows remove all impurities from metals like iron, gold and silver. The reward for Al-Hajj -Mabrur is nothing short of Paradise” (At-Tirmidhi).
Much confusion arises once it involves the rituals of Hajj and Umrah. Consequently, it becomes imperative to possess the comprehensive knowledge of the variations existing amongst the two.
- Both Umrah and Hajj are the expeditions however Hajj is a major expedition additionally known as “Hajj-e-Akbar” and Umrah is a minor expedition or “Hajj-e-Asghar”.
- Allah SWT has created Hajj associate degree irremissible act on those adults who have the provisions of travel and are of sound mind. Umrah may be a recommendation by our Lord however it is not an irremissible act.
- The times of Hajj are fastened within the month of Zil Hajj whereas Umrah can be performed at any month of the year. Nonetheless there is a form of Umrah known as “Umrah al Tamatt’u” which is performed within the Hajj days, the opposite kind is known as “Umrah al Mutradah” (Umrah apart from Hajj).
- Hajj is a lot of hard to perform and involves a good physical activity as compared to Umrah in terms of Ibadah and therefore the degree of importance. Being a pillar of Islam, Hajj is a priority and carries a lot of weight than Umrah.
- Umrah includes only the rituals of Tawaf and Sa`i with ihram whereas Hajj continues into more steps and rituals.
- Hajj can be done with other pilgrims whereas Umrah could be a highly individualized ritual.
- Hajj is incomplete without Waquf Arafah whereas there is no Waquf Arafah in Umrah. Likewise, passing the night at Muzdalifa (Waquf Muzdalifa) is a part of Hajj and not a part of Umrah.
- On reaching Masjid-e-Haram, Talbiyah is stopped in Umrah, whereas in Hajj, Talbiyah is claimed until the ceremony of Rammi (pelting the stone pillars). A pilgrim must go stay in Minnah to perform Rammi and in Umrah there is no stay in Mina.
- No sacrifice is enclosed within the rituals of Umrah whereas in Hajj the pilgrim must offer sacrifice on the tenth of Zil Hajj.Despite the variations Hajj and Umrah pilgrimages are a sign of a Muslim’s faith that they imply firm Muslim fidelity and dedication towards their faith and therefore the love for Allah and His Prophet (PBUH).